As per World Health Organization report there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese. Obesity occurs when there is an excess amount of fat (BMI of 30 or higher). Body mass index (BMI), defined as the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters (kg/m²). BMI above 25kg/m² is defined as overweight, and a BMI of over 30 kg/m2 as obese. The problem of overweight and obesity has increased in the last 2 decades particularly in metropolitan cities due to a faulty lifestyle.
Main causes of weight gain:
- Unorganized or sedentary life style.
- Unbalanced diet: intake of junk food, high fat diets like chocolates, sweets, wafers and high carbohydrate food like potatoes, rice and pasta & over-sized portions at meals.
- Lack of exercise/ physical inactivity.
- Improper functioning of digestive system (improper digestion, improper assimilation of food and elimination of waste from the body).
- Medical conditions like thyroid and neurological problems may also cause obesity.
- Psychological reasons such as depression, anxiety, trauma and stress may cause an eating disorder & may lead to weight gain
- Recovering from a surgery or prolonged immobility.
Bad effects of obesity & over weight
Obesity and overweight pose a major risk for chronic diseases such as anxiety, hypertension, sleeping disorder, joint problems (particularly knee joints), Type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and certain forms of cancer.
Change in lifestyle & eating habits
Get up early in the morning and drink luke warm water with (1) tsp lime juice mixed with (2) tsp honey. Control anger and anxiety by avoiding the situation, keeping calm or taking deep breath. Do not watch TV while eating or snacking. Eat a balanced diet i.e. food from all food groups such as vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, legumes and non-dairy products. Chew food properly. Avoid eating junk or deep-fried foods, processed foods, dairy based ice- cream, candy bars, and high carbohydrate food like potatoes, rice and pasta as these items lose your nutrition balance and causes deposits of excess fat in body.. Eat before 8PM in the evenings. Go to bed at least two hours after dinner time.
Exercise and yoga stimulate the body and create necessary hormones for the proper and smooth functioning of digestive system, heart, brain, kidney and all other organs of our body & play very important role in the treatment of obesity. Brisk walking in the morning for twenty minutes or jogging, along with doing stretching exercises and yoga is the best way to prevent & control obesity. Following yoga techniques can be practiced effectively to reduce the weight.